AlpineCorp – If you’re looking for a DIY project that can add both style and functionality to your laundry room, building plywood floating shelves is a great option. These shelves are easy to construct and can be customized to fit your specific needs and space.
What Are Plywood Floating Shelves?
Plywood floating shelves are a type of shelving unit that appears to be floating on the wall, thanks to concealed mounting hardware. This gives the shelves a clean and modern look, perfect for a laundry room or any other space in your home. Plywood is a popular material choice for floating shelves due to its durability and affordability.
Tools and Materials You’ll Need
Before starting your project, you’ll need to gather the necessary tools and materials. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Circular saw or table saw
- Power drill with various bits
- Orbital sander
- Tape measure
- Carpenter’s square
- 3/4-inch plywood
- 2-inch wood screws
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (220 grit)
- Stain or paint (optional)
Step-by-Step Guide to Building Plywood Floating Shelves
Follow these steps to build your own plywood floating shelves for your laundry room:
- Measure and Cut the Plywood: Measure the wall where you want to install the shelves and cut the plywood into the desired lengths for the shelves. You can use a circular saw or table saw to make the cuts.
- Sand the Edges: Sand the edges of the plywood to remove any rough spots or splinters. Use a 220-grit sandpaper for a smooth finish.
- Create the Shelf Supports: Cut two pieces of plywood to the length you want your shelves to be. These will serve as the supports for your shelves. Cut them to the same length as the shelves, but make them slightly narrower, so they won’t be visible when the shelves are mounted. Sand the edges of the supports as well.
- Drill Holes in the Supports: Using a power drill, drill several holes in the supports where you want to attach the shelf to the wall. Make sure the holes are evenly spaced and level.
- Mount the Supports: Attach the supports to the wall using wood screws and wood glue. Use a level to make sure they are straight.
- Mount the Shelves: Place the shelves on top of the supports and attach them to the supports using wood screws and wood glue. Make sure the screws are placed in the pre-drilled holes.
- Sand and Finish: Sand the shelves with a fine-grit sandpaper to smooth out any rough spots or imperfections. You can also paint or stain the shelves to match your laundry room decor.
Tips for Building Plywood Floating Shelves
Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you build your plywood floating shelves:
- Use a carpenter’s square to ensure that the shelves are level and the supports are straight.
- Be careful when drilling the holes for the screws, as you don’t want to go through the front or back of the plywood.
- Use wood glue in addition to screws for added strength and stability.
- Allow ample time for the glue to dry before placing items on the shelves.
Building plywood floating shelves for your laundry room is an easy and affordable DIY project that can add both functionality and style to the space. With just a few tools and materials, you can create custom shelves that fit your specific needs and design preferences. Follow these steps and tips for a successful project, and enjoy your new shelves for years to come.