The holiday season is a time of joy, love, and celebration. And what better way to count down the days until Christmas than with an Advent calendar? Advent calendars have been a beloved tradition for generations, and with the rise of DIY culture, it’s easier than ever to create your own personalized and festive Advent calendars. In this article, we’ll explore some DIY Advent calendar ideas to try this holiday season.
Hanging Advent Calendar
One of the most popular Advent calendar styles is a hanging calendar with little pockets or bags for each day. You can make this by using a piece of ribbon or string and attaching small bags or envelopes to it. Fill each bag with a small gift or treat and hang it on the wall, door, or Christmas tree. You can customize the bags with numbers or other decorations to match your holiday decor.
Wooden Advent Calendar
If you’re feeling crafty, a wooden Advent calendar is a beautiful and timeless option. You can make your own by cutting 24 small doors or drawers into a wooden block, painting or staining it, and decorating each door with a number or design. Fill each compartment with a small gift or treat and enjoy opening each one as you count down to Christmas.
Book Advent Calendar
For book lovers, a book Advent calendar is a fun and creative way to celebrate the season. Collect 24 holiday-themed books, wrap them in festive paper, and number them for each day leading up to Christmas. Each day, open a new book and enjoy reading it with your family. This is a great way to build excitement for the holidays and create special memories with loved ones.
DIY Scratch-Off Advent Calendar
For a unique and interactive Advent calendar, try making a DIY scratch-off calendar. You can make this by printing out a calendar template and covering each day with a scratch-off sticker. Write a small message or prize underneath each sticker, and enjoy scratching off a new one each day. This is a fun way to add an element of surprise to your holiday countdown.
DIY Puzzle Advent Calendar
A puzzle Advent calendar is a great way to challenge your brain and build excitement for the holidays. You can make this by creating a holiday-themed puzzle and dividing it into 24 pieces. Each day, open a new piece of the puzzle and work on putting it together. By Christmas day, you’ll have a beautiful completed puzzle to display in your home.
DIY Jar Advent Calendar
For a simple and charming Advent calendar, try making a DIY jar calendar. Fill 24 small jars or bottles with treats or small gifts and label each one with a number. Arrange the jars in a basket or on a tray and enjoy opening one each day leading up to Christmas. This is a great option if you’re short on time or space.
Advent Calendar Wreath
If you love decorating your home with wreaths, why not turn it into an Advent calendar? You can make this by creating a wreath with 24 small compartments or pockets, filling each one with a small gift or treat, and adding a numbered tag or decoration to each pocket. Hang it on your door or wall and enjoy opening a new pocket each day.
Tips for Making a Festive Advent Calendar
If you’re planning to make a festive Advent calendar for the upcoming holiday season, here are some tips to help you create a fun and memorable countdown to Christmas:
- Plan ahead: Start thinking about your Advent calendar design and materials well in advance. This will give you enough time to gather supplies and make any necessary preparations.
- Choose a theme: Consider choosing a theme for your Advent calendar to make it more cohesive and visually appealing. Some popular themes include traditional Christmas colors, winter wonderland, and Santa’s workshop.
- Use quality materials: Make sure to use high-quality materials for your Advent calendar to ensure it lasts throughout the holiday season. This is especially important if you plan to reuse it in future years.
- Incorporate personal touches: Add personal touches to your Advent calendar to make it more special and unique. This could be anything from handwritten notes to personalized decorations.
- Vary the treats: Mix up the treats you include in your Advent calendar to keep it interesting. This could be anything from candy and chocolates to small toys and trinkets.
- Make it interactive: Consider making your Advent calendar interactive to add an extra layer of fun. This could be anything from scratch-off messages to puzzle pieces.
- Involve the whole family: Get your whole family involved in creating and enjoying the Advent calendar. This is a great way to build excitement for the holiday season and create special memories together.
By following these tips, you can create a festive and memorable Advent calendar that will be a beloved tradition for years to come.
Advent calendars are a fun and festive way to celebrate the holiday season. Whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or a beginner, there are many creative options to try. From hanging calendars to wooden blocks, book calendars to scratch-off calendars, there’s something for everyone. So get crafting and enjoy counting down the days until Christmas with your very own DIY Advent calendar.